We have a strict honest reviews policy. To fund our research and testing, this post contains affiliate ad links.
Below you’ll find key information about the Shopify free trial — a set of frequently asked questions (FAQ) about it, resources to help you learn more about Shopify and video resources on this increasingly popular ecommerce platform.
The different types of Shopify trials that are available
There are actually two different Shopify free trials available, and it’s important to pick the one that meets your needs.
Standard Shopify 14 day free trial
The standard trial simply gives you 14 days access to Shopify during which you can try out all the features and start building your store. You can access this on the Shopify website.
Free dropshipping starter kit
If you want to use Shopify for dropshipping, you might be interested in Shopify’s free dropshipping starter kit, which you can access here. This gives you a 14-day trial plus access to additional dropshipping resources and support.
Shopify free trial FAQs
How do I sign up for a Shopify free trial?
You can sign up for a Shopify free trial on the Shopify website.
How long does a Shopify free trial last?
A Shopify free trial lasts 14 days.
Do I need to submit my credit card details to start my trial?
No, you don’t need to submit your credit card details to start your trial. You will need to submit your email address, however, and consent to receiving marketing information from Shopify.
Can I extend a Shopify free trial?
So long as you have a good reason for requesting an extension to your trial, Shopify will usually grant it. You will need to contact Shopify’s support team with your store URL (yourstorename.myshopify.com), stating the reason why you want to extend your trial.
Can I sell products during my Shopify free trial?
While you can build your store, apply a store theme and add products to collections as soon as your free trial begins, you can’t start selling anything until you’ve purchased a Shopify plan.
Can I dropship during a Shopify free trial?
While you can prepare your business for dropshipping and install the relevant apps to do so during a free trial, you will need to be on a paid-for Shopify plan to actually dropship.
I’ve heard about a 90-day free trial of Shopify. Does this actually exist?
To help merchants during the COVID-19 pandemic, Shopify temporarily made a 90-day free trial of the platform available. This extended trial offer has now ended, but you can still start a free trial and request an extension to it.
What happens if I subscribe to a Shopify paid plan while I’m still on a free trial?
If you take out a paid Shopify subscription whilst you’re on a free trial, you won’t lose any of your trial days — charges won’t commence until your trial expires.
How do I cancel my Shopify trial?
If you don’t subscribe to a paid-for Shopify plan during your trial, then your Shopify account will simply be frozen at the end of the free trial. You won’t be charged anything.
Can I install apps from the Shopify app store whilst on a free trial?
Yes, it’s perfectly possible to install apps from the Shopify app store during the free trial period.
How do I accept payment using Shopify?
You can accept credit card payments with Shopify via its built-in payment gateway, Shopify Payments, or alternatively use a third-party payment gateway (over 100 are available). If you go down the latter route however, transaction fees will apply.
Are Shopify themes free?
At time of writing, there are 9 free Shopify themes, and 82 paid-for ones available.
How much does Shopify cost?
Shopify fees vary from $5 to $299 per month, depending on the plan you choose (Shopify Starter, Basic Shopify, Shopify or Advanced Shopify). An enterprise plan, ‘Shopify Plus,’ is also available — prices for this are negotiable, but it typically costs around $2000 per month. You can learn more about these fees and the differences between plans in our guide to Shopify pricing or our article on determining the true costs of a Shopify website.
Are there any discounts available for Shopify?
If you pay for your Shopify trial on an annual basis, you can save up to 10% of your first year’s subscription cost (this increases to 20 or 25% if you pay upfront for one or two years of service respectively). To avail of this reduction in fees, sign up for a Shopify trial using this link, then when your 14-day trial ends, choose to pay annually when upgrading.
Do other ecommerce platforms offer free trials?
Most of Shopify’s competitors offer similar trials. You can learn more about alternative online store platforms in the ecommerce reviews section of the Style Factory website, or you can check out our new resource on the Squarespace free trial here.
Other Style Factory resources about Shopify
Style Factory is an official Shopify partner.
We produce a lot of strictly impartial content to help ecommerce businesses decide if Shopify is the right platform for them, and provide resources to support existing Shopify users.
Below you’ll find links to our most useful Shopify articles.
Shopify reviews and comparisons
- Shopify review — an in-depth, impartial look at the platform that outlines all its pros and cons.
- Shopify vs Amazon — the differences between using Shopify (a hosted solution) and Amazon (a huge online marketplace) to sell goods online.
- Shopify vs BigCommerce — we put two of the most similarly featured online store builders head-to-head.
- Shopify vs Big Cartel — how Shopify compares to one of the cheapest ecommerce solutions available.
- Shopify vs Etsy — the differences between using Shopify and ‘arts’-focused ecommerce platform Etsy (including Etsy’s Pattern product).
- Shopify vs Shopify Plus — how the ‘regular’ version of Shopify compares to the enterprise-grade one.
- Shopify vs Squarespace — how Shopify stacks up against another leading online store builder, Squarespace.
- Shopify vs Wix — how Shopify compares to one of the world’s most popular website builders, Wix.
- Shopify vs WordPress YouTube comparison — a video guide to the differences between Shopify and WordPress
Shopify how-to guides
- How to dropship with Shopify — our step-by-step guide to setting up a successful Shopify dropshipping store.
- How to start your own Shopify store — our step-by-step tutorial on creating a Shopify store from scratch.
- How to rename your Shopify store — how to change the your Shopify store name in just a few clicks.
- Shopify SEO — a guide to optimizing a Shopify store for search engines.
General ecommerce resources
- What is dropshipping? — an overview of dropshipping and how to do it right.
- Ecommerce glossary — simple explanations of all the key ecommerce terms you’ll encounter when running an online store.
- Ecommerce platforms — a buyer’s guide — a guide to the key things to look for (or avoid!) when choosing an online store builder.
Video resources about Shopify
Below you’ll find some of our video reviews and comparisons involving Shopify. For all our latest Shopify videos and tips on running an online business, make sure you subscribe to our YouTube channel.