In this Canva statistics overview, you’ll find all the key facts about the increasingly popular design tool — data on userbase size, the company’s revenue, location of users, website traffic and much more…
Please note: you are free to use any of the Canva statistics featured in this post in your own articles. However, we’d politely request that you credit Style Factory as a source and provide a link to this Canva statistics post when doing so. Thank you!
- How many people use Canva?
- Where are Canva users based?
- Where is Canva most popular?
- How old are Canva users?
- How many students and teachers use Canva?
- How many nonprofits use Canva?
- What industries is Canva popular in?
- How many Fortune 500 companies use Canva?
- What companies has Canva acquired?
- How many designs have been created with Canva?
- How many presentations have been created with Canva?
- How much does Canva cost to use?
- What is Canva’s net worth?
- What is Canva’s total revenue?
- How many Canva employees are there?
How many people use Canva?
- Canva is used by 125 million people each month. Canva reached the significant milestone of 100 million monthly active users in October 2021, gaining an additional 10 million users by the end of 2022. (Source: Canva.)
- In terms of the growth of the platform, in 2019, Canva reported that it had approximately 30 million users; this increased to 40 million in 2020 and then to 60 million in 2021. By March of 2022, Canva reported 75 million users, before hitting the 100 million mark on 12 October 2022. The total number of Canva users now stands at 125 million. (Source: Canva.)
- Among Canva’s 125+ million users, there are at least 800K teams paying for a ‘Canva for Teams’ subscription. (Source: Fast Company.)
- Canva is a bit more popular with female users than male ones — 54.01% of Canva users are female and 45.99% are male. (Source: Similar Web.)
Where are Canva users based?
- Canva is is used by people in over 190 countries around the world, meaning that Canva is used in 97.4% of the world’s nations. (Source: Canva and Worldometer.)
Where is Canva most popular?
- Canva is most popular in the United States, from where it receives just over 17% of its traffic. Canva is also extremely popular in Brazil, which provides 8.96% of all visits to Canva’s website. (Source: Similar Web.)
- Canva is ranked the 123rd most visited website in the United States. (Source: Similar Web.)
- Canva is in the top 100 most visited websites in at least 61 countries. It receives a significantly high proportion of web traffic in the Philippines — it is the country’s 24th most-visited website. (Source: Similar Web.)
- In its founder Melanie Perkins’ home country of Australia, Canva is the 142nd most visited website. (Source: Similar Web.)
- Four of the top ten Canva countries are located in Central and South America (Mexico, Brazil, Colombia and Peru); three countries are located in Asia (Phillipines, India and Indonesia); and two countries are in Europe (France and Spain). (Source: Similar Web.)
|Country||Canva’s traffic share (Source: Similar Web)|
How old are Canva users?
- Over 63% of Canva users are under 34 years old. (Source: Similar Web.)
- The largest age group of Canva users is 25-34 year olds — they account for 33.94% of all Canva customers. The second largest group is users aged 18-24, who make up more than a quarter of the platform’s users — 30.32% in total. (Source: Similar Web.)
- Around 3% of Canva users are aged 65 and over. While this may seem like small percentage, it nonetheless means that over 3.3 million people of retirement age create designs with Canva. (Source: Similar Web.)
How many students and teachers use Canva?
- ‘Canva for Education‘ is used by over 27 million teachers and students in classrooms around the world. (Source: Canva.)
- ‘Canva for Education’ is most popular in the US, Brazil and Mexico. In classrooms across those three countries, average student teacher ratios are 1:20. Given this fact, we can estimate that ‘Canva for Education’ is probably used by 1.25+ million teachers and more than 25 million students in total. (Sources: Canva and The Global Economy.)
- Canva for Education is used in more than 3,500 school districts. (Source: Canva.)
- There are over 75,000 education-specific templates available in Canva.
How many nonprofits use Canva?
- Over 400K nonprofit organisations (with over 800K staff between them) use ‘Canva for Nonprofits’ in their design work. ‘Canva for Nonprofits’ user numbers more than doubled between July 2021 and July 2022. (Source: Canva and Canva.)
- Notable non profits using Canva include Amnesty International, the UNHCR and the World Wildlife Fund and the Red Cross. (Source: Canva.)
- The Canva for Nonprofits Facebook community has 41.3K members. (Source: Facebook.)
How much does Canva give to charity?
- Canva is a member of the Pledge 1% initiative, a philanthropic program that encourages companies to give 1% of equity, time, product and profit to communities and charitable causes. (Source: Canva.)
- In 2021, Canva founders Melanie Perkins and Cliff Obrecht pledged to donate 30% of their equity in Canva to good causes via the ‘Canva Foundation’ organisation.
- Canva has a partnership with the GiveDirectly charity and is on the record as having given $10 million in cash donations to beneficiaries Malawi; $183K to the Aussies for Afghanistan Appeal; and $1million to UNHCR, Save The Children Ukraine, Tabletochki, UNICEF, other charities working with people impacted by the war in Ukraine. (Source: Canva.)
- In addition to its $1 million in donations towards Ukraine relief, Canva has a gift-matching policy, where it matches Ukraine relief contributions by its staff (for donations up to $5K). To date, Canva’s staff has donated $203K towards Ukraine relief efforts. (Source: Canva.)
What industries is Canva popular in?
- According to research carried out by Enlyft, companies in the higher education sector are the largest users of Canva, representing 15% of all Canva companies. (Source: Enlyft.)
- Nonprofit organisations and marketing companies also make up a significant slice of Canva’s industrial userbase, accounting for 6% and 5% of Canva companies respectively. (Source: Enlyft.)
- Computer software and Internet companies reportedly make up a little over 10% of all companies using Canva. (Source: Enlyft.)
How many Fortune 500 companies use Canva?
- Canva is used by around 85% of Fortune 500 companies, which amounts to 425+ of the United State’s largest companies . (Source: Fortune)
- Fortune 500 companies that use Canva include FedEx, L’Oréal, Salesforce, Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Nike, Zoom, Meta, Sony and Danone. (Sources: Canva and Fortune)
What companies has Canva acquired?
- Canva has acquired six companies so far: Zeetings (2018), Pexels (2019), Pixabay (2019), Smartmockups (2021), Kaleido (2021) and Flourish (2022). (Source: Crunchbase.)
- Canva’s 2022 acquisition of London-based data visualization tool ‘Flourish’ was made for an undisclosed sum. At the time of the acquisition, Flourish had over one million users who had made 10+ million visualizations with the tool, clocking up over 21 billion views for Flourish visualizations in total. (Source: Canva.)
- Canva’s acquisitions of the two stock photography companies Pexels and Pixabay were used to increase the free and premium stock images available to Canva users.
- The 2021 acquisition of Kaleido enabled Canva to roll out its background removal tool to its paid users. This tool was implemented within the Canva editing interface, allowing users to remove backgrounds in both photographs and video at the push of a button. (Source: Techcrunch)
How many designs have been created with Canva?
- Since Canva’s launch in 2013, it has been used to create more than 15 billion designs, at least 10 billion of which have been made over the last two years alone. (Source: Canva)
- Over 200 designs are created with Canva every second — which means that more than 8.6 million Canva designs are produced every single day. (Source: Canva.)
- In 2021, Canva reported that over 3.5 billion designs were created in that calendar year alone. (Source: Canva.)
- The most popular font in Canva is ‘Arimo’ — it has been used in more than 13.5 billion designs. (Source: Canva.)
How many Canva presentations have been created?
- Canva users have created 1 billion presentations and slide-shows (Source: Canva.)
- In addition to presentations, 160 million infographics, 200 million business cards and more than 15 million charts have been created in Canva. (Source: Canva.)
How many videos have been created with Canva?
- Since Canva added a video editing tool to its feature set in 2021, more than 1 billion videos have been created through the platform (Source: Canva.)
How many stock images does Canva contain?
- Ascertaining the exact number of stock images in Canva is difficult because Canva only provides totals for its stock assets collectively. These stock assets include photos, videos, audio and graphic elements. Across these four stock asset types, Canva claims there are more than 100 million design elements available for use in its platform. (Source: Canva.)
- Canva owns two stock photo websites — Pexels and Pixabay — which between them provide users with over 3.5 million photos. Assuming most of the photos from these two sites are available within Canva, and adding these totals to other images in Canva’s stock media library, the actual numbers of stock photos in Canva can be estimated at at least 4 million. (Sources: Pexels, Pixabay and Canva.)
How many stock videos does Canva contain?
- Canva’s media library contains over 6 million SD, HD and 4K stock video clips for use in Canva projects. (Source: Canva.)
How many templates does Canva contain?
- The Canva pricing page states that there are over 610K templates available on the platform, 60,000 of which are available to free Canva users. There are currently 183,615 Marketing templates, 15,035 presentation templates, 75,163 education templates, 272,265 business templates and around 13,200 video templates available. There are also hundreds of thousands of social media templates covering platforms such as Instagram (688,530), Facebook (215,643), TikTok (2,367), WhatsApp (2,535), YouTube (34,076) and many more. (Source: Canva.)
How many Canva apps are there?
- Canva’s app store contains 118 apps including integrations for Google Photos, Dropbox, Mailchimp, Slack, and a wide range of photo effects and image enhancement apps. (Source: Canva.)
- In addition to apps and integrations within the Canva interface, Canva has been integrated to other ‘software as a service’ tools. For example, users of AWeber’s email marketing service can use Canva to design email newsletters directly within the AWeber interface. (Source: AWeber.)
- Furthermore, Canva provides a ‘Design with Canva’ button that can be added to third-party websites to enable users of those sites to design with Canva from within the site in question. This button, which requires only a few lines of code to set up, has been implemented by brands such as HubSpot, Wattpad and Helppier. (Source: Canva.)
How many people visit the Canva website each month?
- Semrush estimates that there are 107.7 million unique visitors to the Canva website each month.
- There are an estimated 83.7 million links pointing towards the Canva website. (Source: Semrush.)
Where does Canva website traffic come from?
- It is estimated that 98%+ of Canva website traffic comes from organic search. Additionally, Google is by far the biggest source of search engine traffic leading to the Canva website: over 95% of Canva’s search-based traffic comes directly from a Google search. The remainder comes from the Bing, Yahoo and Duckduckgo search engines which provide 1.38%, 1.27% and 1.02% of Canva search traffic respectively. (Source Similar Web.)
How much does Canva cost to use?
- Canva has three pricing tiers: ‘Canva Free,’ ‘Canva Pro’ and ‘Canva for Teams’.
- Canva Free is (unsurprisingly) free to use. It comes with 250,000 free templates, 1+ million free photos and graphics and 5BG of cloud storage.
- A Canva Pro subscription costs $12.99 per month or $119.99 per year. This plan provides individual users with the full set of Canva’s 100+ million stock assets, 610K+ templates, 1TB of cloud storage, access to Canva’s ‘brand kit’ feature and premium features like background removal, magic resize and enhanced exporting options.
|Feature||Canva Free||Canva Pro|
|Cost||Free||$12.99 per month|
|Images, video and audio||1+ million||4+ million|
|Magic Eraser tool||No||Yes|
|Magic Resize tool||No||Yes|
|Magic Write AI tool||25 total uses||250 uses per month|
|Music auto-sync feature||No||Yes|
|Brand hub feature||No||Yes|
|Option to upload fonts||No||Yes|
|Translations||50 per month||500 per month|
|Support||Support emails answered within 1 week||Support emails answered within 24 hours|
|Free trial length||Forever free||Free for 30 days (note: this offer is available for a limited time only)|
- ‘Canva for Teams’ is for multiple users. It comes with the same features as ‘Canva Pro’ but includes additional collaborative features such as shared folders, template locking, approval workflows, task assigning and activity logging. ‘Canva for Teams’ costs $14.99 per month for a team of up to five users, which equates to only $3 per user per month. A 16% discount is also available when paying annually for a ‘Canva for teams’ plan — $149.90 per annum. For teams larger than 5 people, Canva operates a sliding pricing structure — the more members on a team, the higher the fee per team member. However, these fees remain reasonable. See the table below for ‘Canva for Teams’ pricing across several different team sizes.
|Team members||‘Canva for Teams’ monthly pricing||‘Canva for Teams’ annual pricing|
Canva Free vs Pro video comparison
How many people use Canva on mobile?
- It is estimated that Canva’s mobile app has been downloaded over 100 million times from the Google Play Store. (Source: Canva.)
- The canva app is rated at 3.5 out of 5 on the Apple App Store, while in the Google Play Store, it’s rated at 4.8 by Android users. (Source: Apple and Google.)
- In total, Canva has approximately 28 million unique monthly visitors on mobile devices. (Source: Similar Web.)
- Canva launched an iPad app in 2014 and followed up with an iPhone app two years later in 2016. Canva reports that more than 23 designs are created on these iOS two apps every second of every day. (Source: Canva)
What is Canva’s net worth?
- Canva is currently valued by some of its investors at around $25 billion dollars. (Source: Financial review.)
- Canva’s $25 billion valuation represents a $14 billion markdown on its previous highest ever valuation of $40 billion in September 2021. (Source: Financial Review.)
- Canva shares were reported to be worth $1,680 at the time of its last funding round in September 2021. (Source: Financial Review.)
- Canva had its first profitable year in 2017, during which its userbase grew to 294K paying customers. (Source: Wikipedia.)
- International fund management firm Franklin Templeton, which had written down the value of its Canva holdings by 67.3% in June 2021, raised its estimate of Canva’s valuation by 22% at the end of 2022. (Source: Financial Review.)
What is Canva’s revenue?
- Canva revenue is currently estimated at $1 billion per year — an almost four-fold increase on its revenue of $291 million in 2019. (Source: Getlaka.)
How much funding has Canva raised?
- Canva has raised $560 million dollars over 14 funding rounds since it was founded in 2013.
- Back in 2012, Canva’s founders were rejected by more than 100 investors and venture capitalists before eventually securing $3 million in funding to start building the company. (Source: Fast Company.)
- Subsequent funding rounds included injections of $40 million in 2018, $155 million during 2019, $60 million in 2020 and $200 million in 2021. (Source: Wikipedia.)
- Canva is one of the three best-funded cloud companies in the world — it’s in third place, with Databricks and Irish-American payment software company Stripe taking the second and top spots respectively. (Source: Statista)
Who founded Canva?
Canva was founded in Perth, Western Australia, by Melanie Perkins, Cliff Obrecht, and Cameron Adams on the 1st January 2013. (Source: Wikipedia.)
How many Canva employees are there?
- Canva has a team of approximately 3,500 staff — also known as ‘Canvanauts’ — having added 1,000 new employees during 2022. (Source: Financial Review.)
- On company review website Glassdoor, Canva has received very positive reviews from past and present employees — its overall employer rating is 4.5 out of 5, and 88% of reviewers are likely to recommend Canva to a friend.
What awards has Canva won?
- From Apple App Store awards to “Overall Design Collaboration Company of the Year” at the RemoteTech Breakthrough Awards in 2021, Canva has received a considerable number of industry awards. These include being placed 3rd on the Forbes ‘Cloud 100’ list and 4th on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list in 2022. Canva was also named the 10th most innovative company in the world by Fast Company — not far behind other very big-hitting companies such as SpaceX, Microsoft and Stripe. (Sources: CNBC and Fast Company.)
Who are Canva’s main competitors?
- The graphic design software space is a very competitive one! Canva faces stiff competition from well established companies like Adobe and its ‘Creative Cloud’ range of apps for visual design. Adobe’s renowned Photoshop product and the recently launched Adobe Express are key competing products in the field of visual communication.
- Another direct competitor of Canva’s is Visme which offers a decent range of design options. Like Canva, it’s a browser-based tool that makes it easy for small business owners to create graphics for websites, social media posts, marketing assets and more; its drag and drop interface is very similar to Canva’s and its learning curve is very gentle. Visme currently has 15 million users — you can check out how it stacks up against Canva in our Canva vs Visme comparison.
- VistaCreate, which was formerly known as Crello, is another Canva competitor that has a very gentle learning curve. It has upwards of 10 million users and provides an enormous library of over 70 million stock photos. You can learn more about VistaCreate in our detailed VistaCreate vs Canva comparison.
- When it comes to online photo editing, Fotor is used by many small businesses and is a key competitor to Canva. The tool gives users a background remover, a red eye remover, photo filters and a large set of image effects. There are 500 million Fotor users worldwide. (Source: Fotor)
Canva vs Photoshop — video comparison
Other interesting Canva statistics and facts
- In 2020, more than 243 million Instagram posts were designed in Canva. (Source: Canva)
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, more than 4 million Zoom video backgrounds were created and downloaded in Canva. (Source: Canva)
- One of the stated ambitions of Canva’s co-founder, Melanie Perkins, is for Canva to replace the use of PDF documents in the communication flow between designers and clients. She is quoted as saying: “We would like to replace PDF. Rather than people sending PDFs backwards and forwards between the designer and the client, designers can just create a template for organization use. It’s less important for us to absolutely excel at things like vector design because there are amazing programs on the market that may be there. We really want to focus on that collaboration piece.” (Source: Techcrunch.)
Related resources from Style Factory
We hope you’ve enjoyed our in-depth guide to Canva statistics! If you’re interested in learning more about the platform or accessing more stats from Style Factory, do check out the resources below.
- What is Canva?
- Canva review
- How to create digital art with Canva
- How to make an email signature with Canva
- How to create a YouTube thumbnail in Canva